Saturday, December 20, 2014

How To Avoid The Flu

Merry Christmas (in just 5 days!)



I have been on the phone with several people who aren't feeling so hot this week.  Stress, last minute shopping, family arguments, aging parents, wayward children, unemployed spouses.  Also, let's face it, this time of the year brings up every joyful emotion but it can also remind us of lost opportunities or of sad memories from Christmases gone-by.  And of course the new year is just around the corner so most of us are sizing-up what we've accomplished this past year and what we look forward to in the next. 
With all of this "stuff" going on it's no wonder a lot of people experience less than optimal health.
Here are my top five things you can do to help you avoid getting the flu (or any other ailment).

1) Avoid sugar.  That includes bread and anything white.  Have you ever noticed how "flu season" comes right on the heals of Halloween (candy) and Thanksgiving (pies, potatoes, rolls).  For Christmas there's plenty of cookies and treats being made, bought, and gifted so just take it easy!

2) Eat your greens.  I have always eaten plenty of fresh, raw, dark leafy green veggies and about four years ago I started juicing every morning.  I am now addicted to my healthy green protein drink.  Most mornings my drink includes an handful of organic kale and spinach or dandelion greens, a slice of raw ginger, apple, turmeric, and two scoops of protein powder (I have my favorites), ice and water.  Besides all the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes I'm consuming, eating this many greens every day keeps my body alkalized which helps keep inflammation and thus health problems away!  Experiment and find out what dark green veggies taste the best to you.  I put all of mine in my Vitamix and push the "juice" button.  Less than a minute later it's ready to drink.

3) Drink plenty of filtered water.  If you notice yourself getting run-down it might just be a sign that you are dehydrated.  Carry a glass container full of filtered water and make sure you drink it all day long.  It's easy to forget to do this while you are out running around Christmas shopping or planning for the holiday meal.   Rule of thumb:  drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day.  Example:  a 150 lb. person would aim to drink 75 oz. of water in a day.  (you will need more if it's hot outside, if you're exercising, or if you spend a lot of time in air conditioning)

4) Wash your hands.  I have a nail brush by my bathroom sink and I use it several times a day.  I soap it up and scrub for a minimum of 30 seconds to one minute.  Keeping a good immune system is #1 but some days we may come in contact with really tough germs that we just don't want to stay under our nails.  Also, remember to keep your hands away from your face (eyes, mouths, nose)

5) Exercise.  I know you don't have time but make time.  Schedule your workouts before you accept that Christmas luncheon or run out to buy that last-minute gift.  Exercise will keep you healthier in body, mind, and soul.  Even if you only have 30 minutes to "spare."   And...you won't have to go through another January complaining about how much weight you put on over the holidays, or worse yet, how sick you were. 

Okay.  There's lots more to staying healthy but there's my top five physical tips for the Christmas season!  They are easy to incorporate into your life so start today.  Have a joyful, healthy Christmas!


"... I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."        3 John 1:2


To reach me you may email:  Donna@DonnaSchuller.com





3 comments:

  1. Consider it done! I go not want to be under the weather or under the covers this Christmas! I have cut back on indoor group events due to all the influenza, got out to some new outdoor events: tree lighting concert and choirs with hot coffee and Santa arriving for the kiddies by firetruck. Lovely as Boy Scouts provided candles and, as God sent a few snowflakes down as we sang, it was a short, fun and good-spirited community time. I am exercising daily and my usual Sherry and mince tarts are reduced to a Christmas Eve (only) treat and the sherry and mince tarts will be barely a cap full in a tiny crystal glass with a miniature tart. I just need the aroma and a taste...Santa can have his fill of baked goods my Grandkids will put out if they are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also eating fewer sweets this holiday season. I'm looking forward to spending Christmas with my family.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hand wash is important. My phylosophy is to avoid flue or a cold is to stay home in a clean invironment. Bacterium etc. is always in the air or other ppl. cough around us. already sick. (It gives aleady IPhon6, but against a cold isn't yet invented something, from the mouth FB a Young Father Monastry Austria) Monastry I visited June 2014. Anyway, Keep fit 2015.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Please try to stay on the topic and remember also that there are many who are struggling through all kinds of challenges. Let's all be kind and thoughtful with our comments please! :D