Monday, May 27, 2013

In Remembrance

 Today I have another guest post, written by a friend of ours.   It touched me and it is a reminder of what this weekend is really all about.  I honor and thank all of the active, retired, and deceased brave men and women who have given so much for our nation.  I am truly grateful. 
Thank you Steve.
Veterans,

In remembrance of the day; Memorial Day....

The people call it a holiday.. a day set aside from the rest. 

The nation moves, the cities change for an instant and homes are different. 

The people call it a holiday.. a day set aside from the rest. 

The many travel, the offices close, in backyards there are barking dogs.

The people call it a holiday.. a day set aside from the rest. 

Craig and I can't speak this day; I buried 458 soldiers, he never counted. 

The people call it a holiday.. a day set aside from the rest.

We came home from a war, spat upon and hated.

The people call it a holiday.. .a day set aside from the rest. 

Craig and I held the caskets of fallen hero's.

... . And... ...................I held the bodies of America's Best.  

Memorial Day Tribute To Our Fallen Hero's 


Saltwater Steve
US Veteran, US Navy
Vietnam, Decorated

1 comment:

  1. I sense your pain Steve, at not just the awful war memories, but the too quick and too much "holiday" sense, in my opinion too, whereas this should be a long prayer-time mostly. In Canada we have Remembrance Day and almost all wear "Poppies" in November. Even so, while we salute all vets and serving persons, so brave you men and women; and all media stops on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, it is but a minute of silence. Then, it is back to normal for everyday folks, but I know those who served or lost loved ones cannot go back to "normal" .Likely it is in your mind or your life and everytime a news item or conflict is aired or a person in uniform passes you.

    I honour you and all, in my silent prayer and feel a need to give a gentle nod or handshake of thanks as is due to all, regardless the particular war theatre, WWl, WWll, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and all other places of conflict or peace-keeping.

    God Bless and I hope and pray you feel those memories of not be welcomed home honourably but felt "We came home from a war, spat upon and hated", fade and your service is something all ( I ) am proud you and Craig performed for Peace and freedom of all.

    God bless
    Jan-Michael (in Canada)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Please try to stay on the topic and remember also that there are many who are struggling through all kinds of challenges. Let's all be kind and thoughtful with our comments please! :D