Saturday, June 7, 2014

Do Take Your Vitamins!

 "Your body is constantly under repair.  What you put into your body is used to rebuild your body"  Dr. Douglas DiSiena

In chapter 4 of my new book,  "Healthy Family, Happy Life: What Healthy Families Learn From Healthy Moms"  I address the subject of adding supplements to your daily diet. I mention that my grandmother lived to be almost 101 years old and she never took vitamins.  With this kind of genetic heritage why do I?




The food we eat today is not the same as the food my grandparents, my parents, or that I have consumed over the past several decades.  Unless you grow your own food it is getting harder and harder to get enough nutrients from what you eat.  If you are like most Americans you are eating a lot of "fake" food which contains virtually nothing that your body recognizes or needs to stay healthy and strong.  In fact, the food you eat could be making you sick.  This combined with the fact that the water we drink and the air we breath can be filled with harmful substances makes us vulerable to all kinds of things which could negatively impact our health.  These exposures were much less 25, 50, or 100 years ago.

Because of things mostly out of our control, we should be supplementing our diet with high-quality vitamins, minerals, and other scientifically researched products which can enhance our overall health.  I like to go here to the Linus Pauling Institute for updated recommendations.   Once you figure out what you should be taking and for more information on a great company that uses outside testing and has proven to have "truth in manufacturing" practices you may want to check out DaVinci Laboratories of Vermont here.   I have been studying the various companies for years and this one is a very good one in many important ways.  They also have fair pricing.


One reason to supplement your diet with high quality products is to help protect yourself against the many unseen enemies of your health.  I consider my supplements my personal insurance against foreign invaders and also at times they have been used to help my healing process along.  For example, I recently hurt my back so I took extra vitamin C found in Da Vinci Laboratory's product called Cell Support as well as some enzymes called All-Zyme and a natural anti-inflammatory, Enz-Flame.  By adding these to my normal vitamin/mineral regiment I mitigated a lot of discomfort, sped-up the healing process and probably prevented a more serious and longer-lasting condition.  (And....of course I saw my chiropractor so he could put my spine back in alignment after the muscles kept pulling it out.  I had to see him two days in a row but on the third day I was good to go!)
  Most people have heard about the importance of adding a high-quality Omega 3 essential fatty acid to their diet and I take mine, called Perna on a daily basis. (Omega 3s act as a natural blood thinner so if you are on a prescription blood thinner please talk to your doctor.  If you take this supplement first you may never need to take a prescription blood thinner)  To read more specific information about this fatty acid that is essential yet your body doesn't know how to make it you can click here.

"By the proper intakes of vitamins and other nutrients, and by following a few other healthful practices from youth or middle age on, you can, I believe, extend your life and years of well-being by twenty-five or even thirty-five years."  Linus Pauling

  Here is one piece of advice I offer at the end of my chapter titled, "Why and How Dietary Supplements Work" so here is, helpful hint #3..."Do your research and learn about what supplements help with specific conditions or health problems. Although the FDA does not allow non-drug companies to make health claims (why would they, there's nothing in it for them!) there is plenty of tried and true testimonials and also published scientific clinical research that is conducted by the companies or individuals that can afford it.  I am not allowed to tell you what works and what doesn't work or for what.  I can only tell you what I know from personal experience and direct you to sites and information that I trust.  If you have any questions, you may contact me at:Donna@DonnaSchuller.com

Be informed, be strong, be healthy and happy and also know that....

*Please join me for The Call, a monthly telephone gathering held on the 15th of every month at 6pm Pacific time.  All you need is a telephone of any kind!  Our next Call is on June 15th and all you have to do is to dial 530-881-1300 and key-in 642848# when prompted.  Just listen-in or my husband and I can take your questions during the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Please try to stay on the topic and remember also that there are many who are struggling through all kinds of challenges. Let's all be kind and thoughtful with our comments please! :D