Thursday, December 20, 2012

Set-backs Create Opportunities For Comebacks!





My husband Robert performed the wedding ceremony of Glenn and Mindy Stearns in 2003


If you are worried or experiencing any of life's set-backs be inspired by Mark Thallander www.markthallander.com, a world-famous organist who lost an arm in a terrible car accident, or how about"Soul Surfer" Bethany Hamilton  www.bethanyhamilton.com who had her arm ripped-off and was almost killed by a shark.  Read about our good friend Glenn Stearns, www.stearns.com or  www.glennandmindy.com who nearly lost everything at the onset of the real estate/mortgage crash.  As Glenn was personally disassembling the cubicles in his office, he had his wife videoing it as he said, "this challenge will be a part of my story."

 My husband Robert A. Schuller wrote a book by the title "The World's Greatest Comebacks".  The year was 1988.  Since he wrote this book almost twenty-five years ago I think it's more than time he write volume 2, sighting the amazing come-back stories of the three listed above as well as many others we've been blessed to know since then! 

 How do Mark, Bethany, Glenn and an endless list of others have the courage, the perseverance, the faith and the fortitude to keep on keeping-on? When almost everything they have worked for or everything they are seems to have been taken away how do they stay faithful to their God-given purpose?   How do they come-back after life-threatening injuries and despair or impending financial disasters and end-up making an even more profound mark on society than they ever could before their set-backs?!

 The Bible is full of come-back stories where real people overcame huge obstacles. www.biblegateway.com  Here's a few of my take-aways from those stories and the ones of the people I listed above:  don't dwell on the past-it can blur your focus of a beautiful future;  hold on to hope- even in your darkest times;  reach forward in faith-even when you don't feel like it; and blanket all of it by loving others through their tough times even when you're going through your own. *Believe with all of your heart that there is a greater purpose involved in your set-backs or your suffering.

All of us experience challenges from time to time.  Some people's are more severe than others and some will never recover.  Few will become more than they ever imagined possible as a result of their painful experiences.
 Many things in life are out of our control.  I believe that we should live as suggested by St. Augustine  and "work like it all depends on you and pray like it all depends on God."  This attitude has personally seen me through many obstacles and rough times.  It works.  

"The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike"   Matthew 5:45

Even if you live a Godly life, full of purpose, passion and goodness-no one is immune from some kind of suffering or set-back.  Here's the question: what will you do as a result of the storms in your life?  Like the examples which I used above in the personal stories of Mark, Bethany, and Glenn I hope that you will choose to become better instead of bitter.  Please go to their websites and be encouraged by their individual stories.

  Even in times of loss there is still so much to be thankful for.   Don't look back but instead look up!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! 
God is blessing you.   Donna

5 comments:

  1. Good words and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Donna. Yes there are trials and there is loss but as the song lyrics go...

    "HE walks with me

    and He talks with me

    and He shows me I am His own"....

    So regardless whatever happens I know HE is with me and as it is said we must work like it all depends on us and pray like it all depends on God.

    J-M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favourite hymns. I sang it at my girlfriend's mother's funeral several years ago.
    I prayed to God for strength, so that I was able to sing the song. I felt God's presence at that
    service. I am inspired by the faith and strength of the people that you mentioned in your blog, Donna. I am in awe of the faith and strength of the people in Newtown at this time. May God continue to bless them as they go on with their lives after this tragedy. Merry Christmas to your family, Donna and also to J-M and his family.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elizabeth and I have the Elvis version on my desktop so I pause in times like today in reading your Christmas wishes, which I wish for you too. Along with Donna I always know your posts will be positive and I sense His spirit in your words.

    We are so Blessed by HIM, this site and the friendships we make along the way.

    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2528500/he_walks_with_me_elvis_presley/

    Jan-Michael †

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Donna,
    Happy New Year to you and your family. May the year 2013 be happy and prosperous.
    God bless you.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna
    Be Blessed. My heart goes out for the Shullers and what the entire family are going through
    My thoughts and Prayers
    Not the best way to see your DAd end his journey
    To god be the glory

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Please try to stay on the topic and remember also that there are many who are struggling through all kinds of challenges. Let's all be kind and thoughtful with our comments please! :D